Sulphur Bentonite Fertiliser - Sulphur
Why use Sulphur Bentonite?
Sulphur Bentonite is 90% pure elemental
sulphur. It provides degradable sulphur to plants and therefore
can have the following advantages over other forms of sulphur
- High nutrient efficiency:
- Slow release, providing sulphate sulphur for the
entire crop season.
- High analysis, allowing lower volumes of product,
reducing warehousing and freight costs.
- Minimal soil leaching losses until converted to
- Ability to build up available sulphur levels in the
soil for the following season (larger particles).
- Savings in nutrient, storage and application costs:
- Lower volume of storage for dealers/growers.
- Fewer application passes for growers.
- Lower sulphur nutrient cost.
- Allows the grower to select the form of nitrogen and
preferred application time.
How it works
Sulphur is a key nutrient:
- Sulphur is known to improve the metabolism of Nitrogen,
Phosphorus and Potassium.
- Elemental sulphur can be used where sulphur deficiency
in soils is known to exist.
- Application of sulphate sulphur will lower the pH of
Sulphur Bentonite Degradation
- The thiobacillus bacterium is naturally occurring in
nearly all soils.
- When sulphur bentonite is applied, the moisture in the
soil is absorbed into the bentonite clay, which swells and
breaks the pastille particle into very small sulphur
particles in the range 20-500 micron.
- These small particles have sufficient surface area for
the thiobacillus bacteria to convert the elemental sulphur
into sulphate form, which is then available for plant
Sulphur + Oxygen + Water in the
presence of Thiobacillus bacteria →
- The smaller the particle size, the quicker the
- This results in a slow release of available sulphate
over the cropping season.
Professional agronomic advice should be
sought to provide an accurate application rate, depending upon
soil pH, moisture and nutrient content.
Controlling sulphur dust is important in
handling any sulphur based product.
Our product is made in a uniform pastille
Which means not only is it free flowing and
easily blended with other fertilisers (if required) it also has
no thin edges which can easily break off and form dust.
Our entire product is screened during
manufacture for undersize as well as oversize particles.
The following precautions will keep the risk
of an incident to a minimum:
- Handle product no more than necessary.
- Use gentle conveying systems, do not auger or
- Store product in a dry location.
- Ensure no naked flames are present.